Friday, April 18, 2008

Line up for Autographs

Two great things happened yesterday.

Event #1: I became a TV star. (As a result, I'm not actually posting this myself; I have people for that now...)

What? You hadn't heard? I'm everywhere, absolutely everywhere! Okay, maybe not everywhere. In fact, it's likely that I am on the cutting room floor (or trapped inside that little trash can icon on a computer screen in Beijing. Please recycle me).

A crew from China TV came to Xi Zhou and filmed us painting in the courtyard of the Linden Centre. Do you know how hard it is to "act natural?"

I'm staring intently at my painting. Am I frowning too much while I'm staring? I'm squinting into the distance. Do I look serious, or like I'm still adjusting to my progressive lenses? I just smiled at something Ned said. Oh no, do the photographers think I'm trying to pose for the camera? I want to look at Marci's painting, but the photographer might be over there and I don't want to appear to be camera-hungry. Just. Act. Natural.

Event#2 - The Linden Centre acquired a puppy, the best puppy ever. Eight weeks of cuteness in one little body. His feet have hardly touched the ground since he arrived. We haven't come to blows over him... but we will.

These two events may seem to be unrelated, but not to the media savvy. I think there is an extremely good chance I will appear on national Chinese television. The crew shot a good bit of footage of me holding the puppy, me playing with the puppy, me carrying the puppy around to look at everyone's paintings. If they don't crop in too closely on the puppy... I'm a STAR!