Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Six Years

Read no further! You must go read the post from my last trip titled "An Amazing Day" that was posted on April 12, 2008.

Finished? Good. Let's pick up where that story left off.

I did a small painting of Mr. Yang, which the Lindens delivered to him in the fall of 2008.

Fast forward to today (Saturday). Some of us were walking in town when I saw my calligrapher. I recognized him instantly; I have painted him several times so I know that face. He was carrying a stack of photos in one hand and his camera in the other. Upon seeing this group of Americans, he started taking pictures of us. (I thought that was ironic given his adamance about not having his picture taken on the street). We gestured that we wanted to take his picture and he let us, even posing a little. He seemed to be in a good mood.

I must insert a little information here about Mr. Yang. He is a character and, um, given to a bit of the drink. One can't be sure what to expect with him, nor how clearly he might be thinking at any given moment.

He started talking very animatedly. Fortunately, Jeanee was with us to translate. We didn't say anything about who I was (still trying to gauge his state of mind) and there was no reason he would recognize me after 6 years. Besides, I was wearing a hat, so I would have looked different.

He insisted we come to his home. We did, and after we had been there for a minute or two, Jeanee asked him if he remembered an artist that he had met and who had done a painting of him. He didn't answer. He immediately got a little agitated and reached into his breast pocket, from which he pulled out a packet of business cards. He began to hurriedly thumb through them, muttering as he did so. I finally picked up what he was saying: " Pu Suzan, Pu Suzan." (The Chinese version of Susan Ploughe). I took off my hat and said, "Yes! Pu Suzan!" He looked me hard in the face and then he switched his attention to the stack of photos he had been carrying when we met him on the street. He started going through them, clearly desperate to find something. Suddenly, he cried out with glee and held up a photo of the two of us together. "Pu Suzan!" Joyous mayhem ensued.

I am astonished that he remembered my name, and can hardly fathom that he has been carrying my picture for 6 years.

Mr. Yang seems to carry the stack of pictures as evidence that he is important and that he has friends. I think people dismiss him and even avoid him because he can be a handful at times. My suspicions were confirmed when he told Jeanee that I was special to him because "the others were all too busy; Pu Suzan spent time with me." Back in 2008 I thought that I was the one who had experienced an amazing day; I am thrilled to know that it was special for Mr. Yang as well.