Saturday, March 1, 2014

A Close Encounter of the Best Kind

In the Shaxi market I photographed an older woman buying some fried dough. I just loved her face. (This was one of the photos that I took from a distance). I had moved down the street a little ways when I looked up and saw her coming my way. Our eyes happened to meet, so I said "Ni hao." Her face broke into a big smile. The Chinese people I have encountered are usually pleased and a bit surprised when a foreigner greets them in their language. She said "Ni hao" back, then stopped in front of me. She started talking, but of course I couldn't understand her. Next thing I know, she has reached into her bag and is handing me one of her two fried dough things! I took it, not entirely sure if I was supposed to tear a little piece off, or if she wanted me to have the whole thing. One of our translators walked by at just that moment and she assured me that the woman was giving it to me. I took a bite, and with a big grin on my face said, " Henhao!" Very good! Well, that pleased her greatly! We started walking side by side down the road, smiling and eating and "talking," her in Chinese, me in English. At the end of the block, we said goodbye and parted ways. I think I had a silly grin on my face for the next 20 minutes!